Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Kadi ---a birth story---



One of my best friends, Kadi Spurlock of Up in the Sycamore {photography}, asked me to share in the amazing experience of her giving birth to her 4th child. Besides not having done a birthing session before, photographing a fellow friend and photographer is a daunting task. But I am so glad she had the faith and confidence in me to trust me with such an incredible event in her family's life.

Kadi's last child came rather early, and Kadi was certain this one would as well. So I sat by the phone daily preparing to meet this newest addition. I took my camera everywhere with me for weeks! When the call finally came, two weeks early, I was ecstatic!

I was in contact with Kadi's mother-in-law who was keeping me up to date with how far along Kadi was and when it was finally time for me to join them. When I got to the hospital Kadi's mother-in-law gave me the wrong room number! I was running all over the hospital praying that I would not miss the actual event! When all I should have done was mention Kadi's name and they would have found her immediately. {Sometimes it takes a bit for my brain to catch up with me!}As soon as I walked in the room Kadi's midwife exclaimed "Oh thank God!" and within minutes Kadi was pushing.

Meet Charley Mae Spurlock:


In the middle of pushing Kadi took a well deserved breather while her husband, David, and her mother-in-law rubbed her feet.


Daddy took a picture of Charley so that the siblings, who were out in the waiting room with grandpa, could see the first picture of Charley Mae.
Even though daddy is a bit squeamish, he seems to be getting better after each birth. At this one he actually cut the umbilical cord. 


First time siblings are meeting their baby sister.


 



 
Soryn was demonstrating for me what she thought Charley Mae's face looks like.   


Daddy was smitten from the very beginning.
Grandparents were pretty smitten too!



 -- Thank you Kadi for allowing me to photograph this incredible little girl's entrance into the world.


1 comment: